Wednesday, December 7, 2011

How I was Hooked to Fishing - Part 2

After I recovered from the horror of my previous catch (Scorpion Fish), I set out again on the quest of the big one. Lady Luck eluded me for months until I caught hold of this cutie. 

Puffer fish caught at Bedok Jetty
Pufferfish caught at Bedok Jetty
They call it Puffer Fish as it swells like a baloon when confronted with any threat. But, don't go by it's appearance. This fish has strong beak like mouth that can snap off one's finger if improperly handled. The fish snapped off my 30lbs leader as soon as I had landed it and was squirming its way back to the sea in a zig zag motion.

Furthermore, you can't even hold it in your bare hands; it has a highly toxic neurotoxin on the skin and inside of its body. In fact, this innocent looking fish is the deadliest of all fish. However, this fish can also be eaten if and only if it is cleaned properly, which only a few certified chefs can manage. The flesh of the fish is considered as a delicacy in Japan and is called as "Fugu".

Since I am no chef and not even close to being trained and certified to prepare Puffer fish, I released it back into the sea. After deflating and returning to normal size once again, it happily swam away; free only to be captured again by other anglers or annoy them by stealing the baits off the fishing line.

In this trip, I also happen to catch a baby Octopus, or rather it caught hold of my bait. When I pulled up the line, the baby was curled up in a small cup that it found in the bottom of the sea and took it up as his small home and was feasting on my prawn bait. The angler next to me, and old uncle, asked me if he can use it as a bait and while we were chatting, this fellow got out of its home and was running on all its legs towards the sea. Alas, uncle ran behind it and caught it, only to be used as a bait on his line.

Yet again, I returned home empty handed, but full of confidence and experience. Meanwhile, my arsenal was swelling with all sorts of hooks and lures, every now and then buying something new or replenishing used and old stocks.



Fish going after a lure
Fish going after a Lure


The plastic lures are fish shaped objects engineered to swim in water when retrieved properly and mimic the action of a smaller fish in distress. When a bigger fish sees or feels the lure going through the water, it's natural instinct takes precedence over other matters and it rushes to inspect the lure, whether eat it or attack it for entering its area. As soon as it interacts with the lure, it get's hooked by the two treble hooks attached to the lure.

If fishing with bait requires patience, then luring requires much more patience and add a dollop of hard work to it. One casts the lure in water then retrieves it using various wrist actions. And cast again and again and again... Its a really tiresome style of fishing as compared to baiting where one casts one time and waits for a long time. By the end of the day, its most probable that you wont feel your hands fatiqued with the repeated casting and retrieving.

Knowing all this, I still wanted to try this technique and hence armed with a bunch of lures, I headed next to Pandan Reservoir in Jurong. This reservoir is made by damming the Sungei (river) Pandan and has two small fishing areas on its opposite banks. The fishing jetty I prefered was on the Penjuru road which was at that time full of people fishing with prawns and bread as bait using handlines, mostly Bangladeshi and Thai workers. Although, PUB (Public Utilities Board) which takes care of the reservoir, patrols regularly by boat and truck and fines the anglers using organic baits, still I have seen lots of people fishing illegally and each catching loads of fish whenever I visited that place.


Pandan Reservoir as seen from Penjuru road
Panoramic view of Pandan Reservoir
 Since I was using lures, my hit rate was zero as compared to those baiters. Nevertheless, I lured using plastic lures and rubber fish and everytime I returned home empty (and sore) handed. Whereas a Thai angler that I saw regularly there, each time catched minimum five fish (Tilapia and Peacock Bass), and once even a turtle (which thankfully he let off).
Tilapia caught at Pandan Reservoir
Tilapia caught at Pandan Reservoir
So back to Pandan Reservoir, I got hold of this good sized Tilapia (as said by the regular people fishing there). For the first time I experienced an adrenaline pumping experience much greater than my previous catch, the strong pull and resistance from the fish; a full sized human vs a small fish and yet, the fish was giving a strong fight for it's survival. Eventually the fish lost, but imprinting in my mind a strong experience that can never be forgotten.

This fish is actually known as the "Flowerhorn Cichlid" or Tilapia in fish market (sometimes also called as Black Phoenix Fish) and was promptly taken by me to home, cooked in curry and devoured at dinner. As they say, fresh fish tastes wonderful, and so was the taste of this fish, tasty and juicy. And another thing that increased the taste of the fish was my hard work and perseverance that was rewarded.

 Finally, I was satisfied with what I caught... or was I?

The human mind is very complex. When we achieve something that we want, the mind yet again looks forward for something better than what we got. What better phrase to put forward for this feeling but, "Yeh Dil Maange More!!!" (The heart desires more!!!)

So, yet again I looked forward for a better fight with a bigger fish. Will I get what I want or not?
Only time will tell...



...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment